Construction Site Camera FAQ
The use of cameras on construction sites can raise many questions, especially if you have never had to deal with them before. The easiest way is to simply ask us!
We try to answer the most common questions here already:
Construction site documentation means:
- Observing the construction progress with one or more (usually wide-angle) cameras via the internet.
- During the construction phase, you can quickly and easily get an update on what is happening on site.
- Site managers in particular can thus keep an eye on several construction sites and save themselves long journeys.
- Investors and their backers see that their money is “working.”
- A construction site camera is a popular marketing tool for builders to create a time-lapse movie at the end of the project, for example.
Construction site monitoring means:
- Building owners and construction companies want to protect their construction site, especially against theft & vandalism.
- If this occurs, an alarm should be raised immediately so that the perpetrators are caught, or at least disturbed.
- Video surveillance on the construction site works according to the trapper principle or by means of virtual fences.
- Construction site monitoring is not saving individual images at night on an unlit construction site.
Basically, this question can be answered with “Yes, but…”:
An important note in advance: NetCo is not allowed to give legal advice. However, NetCo intensively deals with this topic so that you can use our solutions with a clear conscience.
The right location is crucial and the field of view of the camera:
- When using camera systems, you should always carefully check the site conditions. If you want to document the construction progress of your commercial property, the camera should only capture your property and public areas should not be visible.
- You should make sure that the camera is positioned in such a way that people cannot be clearly identified. Of course, this cannot always be avoided.
Anonymization of individual recordings
- People are pixelated and not completely removed. This way you always have a full overview of what is happening on the construction site.
- Buildings, public streets & squares can be made permanently unrecognizable.
Principles of the GDPR
- A contract for commissioned data processing in accordance with Article 28 GDPR regulates the contractual obligations in order to be able to operate the camera solution in compliance with the law. Don’t panic! There are suitable templates that our employees will adapt together with you so that this contract can be concluded quickly and easily.
- A separate document describes the technical and organizational measures that NetCo has taken, in accordance with requirement Article 55 of the GDPR.
Whether you rent or buy a construction site webcam depends on various factors. We will gladly advise you here.
Why should you rent?
- Outdoor camera systems for construction sites can be expensive.
- Short project durations of less than 18 months are usually more favorable in the total price in the case of a lease.
- With a rental you don’t have to worry about warranty & service.
- Commercially, renting can make sense, as the costs can be written off immediately (no investment).
- Through our rental pool you always have access to the latest technologies and different systems.
Why should you buy?
- You want to use the camera system in several successive projects.
- Tax reasons speak for a purchase — the camera can be a capital good — depreciation possible for up to 4 years.
- You are familiar with the technology and do not need any further external support for your projects.
At NetCo you can decide who installs the system:
Self-assembly by own staff:
You know “Do it yourself” from advertising. Basically this is also true for our camera solutions. NetCo delivers ready configured systems via DHL, which can be installed and put into operation by your staff. During commissioning NetCo provides support by phone or remote access.
NetCo Full Service:
However, camera installation sites are often inaccessible without additional aids such as working platforms or ladders. Safety regulations on the construction site require that only trained personnel can carry out the installation. NetCo installs nationwide or Europe-wide. If you want, you don’t have to worry about anything. From the planning to the delivery of the perfect camera image NetCo takes over all services, including GDPR handling.
NetCo also does not send you external companies or subcontractors. Trained professionals come directly to you.
Answered quite simply:
The risk of theft and/or vandalism is transferred to the client when the rental item is received by the client. There are possibilities to cover such a system via your construction site insurance. This must be clarified in each individual case.
The location of the system is often decisive for the risk.
There are definitely areas of application where a GoPro or Brinno camera can be useful. Of course, these products are in a completely different price category. You should think about the following questions more intensively if you are planning a long-term documentation.
- Are my recordings stored safely?
- What happens to the recordings if the camera is stolen or defective?
- How is it guaranteed that the camera will be powered for several months/years without me having to change batteries?
- What if the camera is disconnected from the power supply or does not take any pictures? Does anyone notice this?
- Can I access the recordings remotely during the construction phase?
- What if the camera memory card is full?
- What about data protection requirements?
- Who (reliably) takes care of the camera system during the entire project duration?
NetCo has the right answers:
Nowadays, high-resolution usually means that the construction site webcam delivers images in the so-called full HD resolution. Just like you know it from your TV at home. These cameras have an image format of 1980*1080 pixels (1080p) and are exactly the models that are usually included in the standard offer of NetCo.
Alternatively we offer the so-called “4K cameras”, which have a resolution of 3840*2160 pixels, or 8 megapixels.
When it comes to analyzing many details in the image, you will reach its limits with a Full HD camera. Then it makes sense to think about the use of SLR cameras, where images are produced from 24 megapixels.
If you want to deal more intensively with this topic “resolution & megapixels”, you can find compressed answers to this on Wikipedia: direct link
As with photography, the location for the camera is a crucial point.
In the offer planning, it is very important for us to talk with you about the construction project and the camera location.
Basically, the construction site webcam can be mounted almost anywhere. Construction site containers, flat roofs, construction signs or cranes are popular. If all these possibilities are out of the question, our mobile pole solution may help. This has to be discussed in each individual case.
Another important question is: Is there electricity nearby? If not, no problem, then a self-sufficient solar solution is the solution.
The question is somewhat subjective, but we try to give you objective reasons why NetCo is a good choice:
- Experience: The employees of NetCo know the market and the requirements for a camera solution: The first webcam was installed by NetCo already in 1999 on the Brocken, the highest mountain in the north. Since then, several thousand cameras have been installed, which have documented almost everything from a family home to a Bon Jovi concert to the “Tower One” in Frankfurt.
- Binding: You will immediately receive an appropriate offer. Individually tailored to your building project, at a price that is already fixed at the beginning. There are no hidden additional costs, supplements or small print.
- Fast: After placing the order, the system can be installed within a few days. Shipping systems are available from stock.
- Flexible: A construction site often holds surprises in store. The employees of NetCo are aware of this and usually have a good solution to the problem at hand.
- Competence: NetCo has a competent team: more than 10 employees work in sales & service for camera solutions.
- Quality: Behind the camera team are 15 qualified software & hardware developers who are constantly developing the products and solutions. The camera systems consist of high-quality components, tested for continuous operation.
- Reliable: NetCo has been operating on the market since 1997 in various business areas. Many of the employees have been with the company for more than 20 years. There is hardly any fluctuation. NetCo has always trained its own junior staff.
NetCo employees are DREAMERS, THINKERS, DOERS — we live our company motto!